Everyone loves a McDonald's apple pie but did you know you can make them at home?
• 450g plain flour
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 250g butter - cold
• 200ml water
• 50g freeze-dried apples
• 2 tbsp cherry jam
• 50g butter
• 2 tbsp golden syrup
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 100g sugar
• Pinch salt
• 250g peeled, chopped cooking apples
• Oil for frying
1. Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Dip the butter into the flour, then grate on a large grater into the bowl of flour.
3. Keep adding flour to the butter and grater to stop the butter sticking together in a mound.
4. Mix the grated butter through the flour, then add enough cold water to bring it together.
5. Roughly shape it into a flat rectangle then wrap it in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Blitz the freeze dried apples to a powder in a food processor.
7. Put the butter, golden syrup, lemon juice, sugar, spice and salt into a saucepan and warm gently until the sugar has dissolved.
8. Add the chopped apples and cook for 5 minutes, or until the apples are beginning to soften.
9. Add the cherry jam and cook for 2 more minutes, then add the powdered apple, take off the heat and let it cool.
10. Roll the pastry out to 4mm thick, and cut it into six 15 x 12cm rectangles.
11. Put 2 tbsp of apple and cherry filling on one long side of each pastry rectangle. Fold the pastry over and seal the edges with water and by crimping with a fork.
12. Cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.