With a fluffy marshmallow centre and chocolate coating, this cinnamon-y alfajor is like a moon pie, but better.
• 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon molasses
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/4 cups chocolate cookies, crumbled
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 1 cup of granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup water
• 1 tablespoon corn syrup
• 2 egg whites
• 1 cup chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, molasses and vanilla extract for two minutes.
3. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cookies and milk. Mix well with a spoon and hands. Set aside in the refrigerator.
4. Make small balls, place them in a baking pan, flatten with your hand and place in oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Make a thin syrup with sugar, water and corn syrup.
6. Beat the egg whites in a mixer on low speed.
7. When the egg whites are firm, add the thin syrup and beat until firm.
8. After cooling, fill the cookies with marshmallow, cover with the chocolate, refrigerate and serve.