The bun is MAC and CHEESE people! This burger twist is a game changer for cheese lovers.
• 250g very small macaroni
• 30g unsalted butter
• 30g plain flour
• 400ml whole milk
• 50g grated mature cheddar cheese
• 50g grated parmesan cheese
• 100g grated mozzarella cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 200g plain flour
• 1 tbsp mustard powder
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp mixed herbs
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 200g panko breadcrumbs
• vegetable oil, for frying
• 550g high quality minced beef, formed into burger
• patties, or alternatively use store bought burger patties
• American mustard, to sear
• 6 - 8 slices burger cheese
1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Drain the macaroni in a colander and set aside.
2. Add butter and flour to a large casserole to form a roux then steadily add the milk, stirring well after each addition until you have a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly then add the cheddar, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Stir to combine and then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the macaroni to the sauce and stir to coat all the pasta in the sauce then remove the casserole from the heat and pour the macaroni into a large baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper. Use a spatula to flatten the top and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Once cooled, use a 10cm cookie cutter to cut out 6-8 “buns.”
4. Place flour, mustard powder, cayenne, garlic powder and mixed herbs in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Place the eggs, and bread crumbs in two other separate bowls.
5. Dip each macaroni bun in flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs, coating evenly.
6. Preheat vegetable oil to 180°C.
7. Place the macaroni buns gently in oil and fry 3-4 minutes, until golden brown then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Keep warm in a low oven whilst you fry the remaining buns.
8. Season hamburger patties liberally with salt, pepper and american mustard. In a saucepan set over a high heat, sear patties to your desired doneness, flipping halfway through and adding a slice of cheese.
9. Place cheese topped burger between two mac and cheese buns and top with whatever you fancy; sliced tomatoes, onions, burger sauce etc.