Mac and cheese and bolognese had a food baby and it's beautiful.
• For the bolognese:
• 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra 2 tbsp
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1kg beef mince
• 2 sticks celery, finely diced
• 1 carrot, finely diced
• 2 tbsp dried oregano
• 100g tomato puree
• 700g passata
• 250ml dry red wine
• For the macaroni:
• 250g dried macaroni pasta
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 500ml milk
• 200g mature cheddar cheese, grated, plus extra 50g
• 200g mozzarella, grated, plus extra 75g
• 30g finely grated Parmesan, plus extra 10g
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
1. Make the bolognese: Heat the 4 tbsps olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add onion and garlic and mince, breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon. Cook for 8 minutes or until mince is lightly browned.
3. Add celery, carrot, oregano and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in passata, wine and 500ml hot water.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered with a lid, for 45 minutes.
5. Make the macaroni: During the last 15 minutes of cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
6. Meanwhile, put 2 tbsps olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the flour.
7. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling. Add milk, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition. Only add more milk once the mixture is smooth.
8. Stir in the cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan. Add the pasta and stir to combine.
9. Preheat oven to 220-240 C.
10. Spoon the macaroni mixture over bolognese.
11. Scatter with extra cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan then cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden.