Delicious hearty roast dinner pie
• 1 pack puff pastry
• 300 milliliters left-over gravy
• 50 milliliters double cream
• 1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
• 300 grams leftover 'Sunday lunch' vegetables (eg. Boiled carrots, swede, parsnips, cabbage, roast potatoes)
• 500 grams roast chicken, shredded
• 1 Medium free-range egg, beaten
• Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C (fan)/Gas 6.
2. Put the gravy into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then add the cream and mixed herbs.
3. Cut the vegetables into bite-size pieces and add to a large bowl with the chicken. Pour over the sauce and mix well.
4. Brush the edge of a 20-22 centimeters pie dish with beaten egg, unroll the pastry and with a sharp knife cut strips of pastry (approx 2 centimeters wide) from the edges and use to form a rim on the pie dish. Brush the edge with beaten egg to help the pastry stick.
5. Carefully lift the remaining pastry, lay over the dish and press down the edges to form a good seal.
6. Trim off any excess pastry with a sharp knife (reserve the trimmings to decorate) and flute the edges. Make two holes in the centre of the pie to allow the steam to escape.
7. Re-roll the trimmings and cut out leaves or other shapes of your choice. Brush the pastry top with egg wash, arrange leaves on top and brush again. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.