Hot Stone Rice - The perfect warming dish to share with your mates!
• For the bulgogi:
• 4cm/1.5in piece of ginger
• 4 tbsp soy sauce
• 4 tbsp mirin
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 tbsp chopped kiwi
• 2 tsp red chilli flakes or Korean chilli powder
• 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
• 3 tsp sesame oil
• 500g sirloin or rump steak, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
• 1 onion, finely sliced
• For the stone rice bowl:
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• 200g cooked short grain rice, hot
• 100g bulgogi
• 75g julienned carrots
• 75g shredded cucumber
• 75g cooked sweetcorn
• 2 nori sheets, finely shredded
• 1 egg yolk
1. Put the ginger, soy, mirin, garlic, kiwi, chilli flakes, sugar and 1 tsp of the sesame oil in a food processor and blend until fine. Pour the marinade into a bowl, add the meat, mix well and leave to marinade for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the remaining sesame oil in a large wok or frying pan until hot. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the beef and the marinade, stirring constantly until it’s cooked through, which should take about 5 mins then remove the beef and the remaining sauce from the pan.
3. Heat your stone bowl over medium-low heat. When it is hot, add the sesame oil to the bowl. Put the rice on the bottom and layer the rest of the ingredients on top. Keep heating the bowl until you hear a distinct sizzling sound. Carefully remove from the heat and add the egg yolk Mix together your ingredients with chopsticks to combine and eat!