This is an ingenious, or should that be inguinness, invention
• Makes one 2 pounds loaf
• Vegetable oil, for greasing
• 200g/7 ounces plain flour, plus extra for dusting
• 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 550g/1 pound 4 ounces wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
• 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
• 400 milliliters/1/2 pint stout
• 220 milliliters/8fl ounces buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/Gas 8 and grease a 900g/2 pounds loaf tin with vegetable oil. Add the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt to a large bowl.
2. Stir through the wholemeal flour and sugar. Pour in the stout and buttermilk. Mix well to form a wet dough.
3. Tip the dough onto a lightly-floured work surface. Roll and fold the mixture gently until it forms a fat sausage, roughly the size of the tin.
4. Place the dough into the greased loaf tin and, with wet hands, pat down and smooth the top into the edges.Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Bake for another 25 minutes
5. Cool in the tin for five minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack. Let the loaf cool before slicing. Serve with butter and a cold pint of Guinness.