For all the people who just don't like birthday cake, make them a cake of CHEESE
• For the chilli jam:
• 150g red chillies, stalks removed
• 5 birds eye chillies, stalks removed
• 25g ginger, peeled
• 6 garlic cloves, peeled
• 450g tomatoes
• 250ml cider vinegar
• 700g caster sugar
• To assemble the toastie:
• 1 round cob loaf
• 100g butter, melted
• 1 clove garlic, grated
• 200g mozzarella, grated
• 200g cheddar, grated
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• Coriander, 1 small bunch, chopped
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped
1. To make the chilli jam, place the chillies, ginger, garlic and tomatoes in a food processor and blender until everything is finely chopped. Place mixture in a heavy-bottom saucepan and add the vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently and then turn down to a simmer and let bubble away, stirring occasionally until thickened and jammy. Spoon into sterilised jars and leave to cool.
2. To build the toastie, cut the loaf into three rounds (as if you were cutting a cake to layer).
3. Melt the butter and stir in the garlic clove.
4. Brush the bottom round with the butter and then add a layer of the chilli jam. Top with mozzarella and a handful of cheddar. Top with the middle round and repeat the layering process. Place the top of the loaf on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, red onion, coriander and red chilli. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the loaf is golden and the cheese is melty.
5. Serve in slices at the table.