Because when it comes to mars bars, bigger is always better!
• For the chocolate coating:
• 800g milk chocolate, melted and tempered
• For the caramel:
• 250ml glucose syrup
• 250ml double cream
• 320g caster sugar
• 125ml whole milk
• For the nougat:
• 2 egg whites
• 65 ml glucose syrup
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 435 g caster sugar
• 200 ml water
• 380 ml glucose syrup
• 1 tsp malt powder
• 60g cocoa powder, sifted
1. Melt 300g of the milk chocolate and temper it.
2. Pour into a silicone loaf tin that is 30cm x 10cm and move the loaf tin round the cover the base and sides with chocolate.
3. Place in the fridge to cool.
4. Place all ingredients for the caramel into a saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved stop stirring but continue to heat until the mixture reaches 115 C.
5. Place the pan into a sink filled with ice cold water and stir until the caramel has cooled slightly and thickened. Pour into the chocolate covered mould and place back into the fridge.
6. To make the nougat layer combine the egg whites, 65g glucose syrup and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer.
7. Place the sugar, water, 435g glucose syrup and malt powder into a saucepan and heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then add a sugar thermometer. Once it reaches 115 C turn the beaters to high to whisk the egg white mixture. When the sugar reaches 126 C remove from the heat and pour in a thin steady stream into the whites with the mixers still running on high.
8. Once the mixture thickens turn the mixers down and add the cocoa powder. Turn off mixers and pour the nougat over the caramel. Spread out with a spatula to flatten. Place the bar into the fridge to set.
9. Melt and temper 250g milk chocolate and when the nougat has set, pour over the bar to create the base of the bar.
10. Place back in the fridge to cool the chocolate.
11. When ready to use, remove the bar from it’s silicone mould and set over a rack placed over a baking tray.
12. Melt and temper the remaining chocolate and pour over the top of the bar. Use a cocktail stick to create markings on top of the bar and set aside to cool.
13. Serve in slices - or try and bite!