We've taken your classic Cherry Bakewell and made it GIANT! A family favourite big enough for everyone.
• For the cherry:
• Cherry flavoured jelly
• For the cherry jam:
• 275g cherries
• 200g jam sugar
• Juice 1/2 lemon
• For the pastry:
• 250g plain flour
• 150g butter, chilled
• 25g icing sugar
• 1 large egg, beaten
• For the sponge:
• 150g butter, softened
• 150g caster sugar
• 75g ground almonds
• 75g self raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp almond extract
• 3 large eggs
• 200g icing sugar
1. Make the cherry - Make the jelly up according to packet instructions and pour into a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge to set for a minimum of 4 hours.
2. Make the jam - Remove the stalks and stones from the cherries then place into a saucepan with the lemon juice and set over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until broken down and juicy. Add the sugar and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Make the pastry - Preheat the oven to 160c.
4. Measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar. Add the egg and mix to form a soft dough.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of about 1cm. Line the tin, leaving an overhang at the top. Crimp the edges to make an undulating pattern, then transfer to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans then bake for 20 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
6. Make the sponge - Beat together all the sponge ingredients until smooth.
7. To assemble - Spread the jam over the base of the tart tin, then pour the sponge mix on top. Return to the oven to back for 40-45 minutes, or until the sponge mix is cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
8. Make the icing - Put the icing sugar in a large bowl and add the almond essence and enough water to make a thick icing. When the cake is completely cold, spread over the top and leave to set.
9. To serve - Remove the jelly cherry from the fridge and carefully turn out of the bowl and place on the centre of the tart.