Make this for someone feeling under the weather
• 2 round loaves of sourdough bread
• 1 red onion
• 2 carrots
• 2 sticks of celery
• 3 small leeks
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1 purple potato
• 1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans
• 100g smoked bacon lardons
• Olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
• 1 ltr veg stock
• 75g rainbow chard
• 100g alphabet pasta
• 1/2 a bunch of fresh basil , optional
• Parmesan cheese
1. Start by hollowing out the loaves of bread - slice the top off the loaves and scoop out the dough inside to make a bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and fry gently for 2 minutes or until golden.
3. Add the onion, carrots, celery, leek, oregano and bay and cook slowly for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened, stirring occasionally.
4. Add garlic, potato, cannellini beans and plum tomatoes, then pour in the vegetable stock. Stir well.
5. Cover with a lid and bring everything slowly to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the potato is cooked through.
6. Remove and discard any tough stalks bits from the greens, then roughly chop.
7. Add the greens and pasta to the pan, and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked.
8. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then ladle into the bread bowls to serve.
9. Serve with a grating of Parmesan and some basil leaves.