One giant bowl of mac and cheese - Pick you own toppings!
• 500g macaroni pasta, cooked
• 75g butter
• 75g plain flour
• 1.2 ltr milk
• 50g parmesan, finely grated plus 50g for the top of the mac
• 200g gruyère, grated
• 400g mozzarella, grated, plus 100g for the top of the mac
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
• Salt & pepper
• 2 slices sourdough bread, torn into rough cubes
• 6 streaky bacon rashers
• 200g mixed wild mushrooms
• 200g cherry tomatoes
• Pickled jalapeños from a jar
• Hot sauces (siracha, Tobasco)
• Truffle oil to serve
• Chilli oil to serve
1. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
2. Melt the butter in a large oven proof saucepan. Stir in the flour to make a smooth paste and cook for 3-4 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk until you get a lump-free sauce.
3. Add the mustards and some pepper and bring to a gentle simmer cooking for a few minutes until thickened. Take off the heat and stir in the parmesan, and all the other cheeses.
4. Stir in the pasta and mix to combine. Scatter with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and piping hot. While the mac is cooking make the toppings.
5. In a large frying pan, add a glug of oil and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and add the mushrooms, frying until golden and cooked. Remove from the pan, add a glug of oil and finally fry the sourdough cubes until golden and crispy.
6. Put the breadcrumbs, bacon, mushrooms, jalapeños and tomatoes into separate bowls.
7. Put the mac ‘n’ cheese in the middle of the table along with the toppings, hot sauces and oils and let everyone add their own garnishes to their mac.