Never deep fried a pizza? You're missing out!
• 400g strong white bread flour
• 100g fine ground
• Semolina flour or strong white bread flour
• 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
• 7g sachet of dried yeast
• 1 1/2 tsp golden caster sugar
• Flour, for dusting
• Vegetable oil, for frying
• 2 x 150g buffalo
• mozzarella balls
• 5 tsp dried
• oregano, optional
• 100ml passata
• 100g grated mozzarella
• 100g nduja
• Parmesan, to grate
• A few basil leaves
1. For the dough, place the flours and 1 level teaspoon of sea salt into a bowl. Stir to combine and make a well in the centre.
2. Add the yeast and sugar to 325ml lukewarm water, mix together and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well.
3. Mix, making sure all the flour is mixed in with the water and then turn out on to a floured surface. Knead the dough for 10 minutes, or until you have a smooth, springy, soft dough.
4. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to to prove for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
5. When ready to cook, preheat your grill to its highest temperature. Divide the dough into 5 pieces and press them flat onto a floured work surface. Roll them out to about 0.5cm/¼ inch thick and allow them to rest for 10 minutes or so. Heat a frying pan over a high heat, add about 5cm of vegetable oil and fry each pizza for 30 seconds or so on each side. Remove with tongs and place on a baking tray.
6. Once all the bases are fried, smear each one with a spoonful of passata, a handful of mozzarella and a few pieces of nduja. Grate over some parmesan and add a leaf or two of basil. Grill until the cheese is bubbling and the dough is light brown and cooked through.