Roll up Roll up! These meaty, cheesy lasagne bites are a sure winner!
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 250g beef mince
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 carrot, finely chopped
• 1 stick celery, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 100ml red wine
• 1 beef stock cube
• 400g tin tomatoes
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 sprig oregano
• 25g butter
• 60g plain flour
• 250ml whole milk
• 50g grated parmesan
• Fresh lasagne sheets
• 2 free range eggs, beaten
• 150g fine breadcrumbs
• 200g grated mozzarella
• Parmesan, to serve
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. When hot add in the chopped onion, carrot, celery and cook until softened. Add the minced beef and garlic and cook until the beef is nicely browned.
2. Add the wine and stock cube then stir until the stock cube is dissolved, then add the oregano, rosemary, bay and tomatoes.
3. Cook the bolognese for 20 minutes until reduced and thick, then remove from the heat.
4. Add the butter to a saucepan and warm though until the butter has melted, then stir in the flour.
5. Gradually add the milk - stirring to avoid lumps, then simmer for 5 minutes until the béchamel is quite thick. Add the parmesan and stir in, then pour into a shallow tray to help it cool quickly. Put in the fridge for one hour or until it’s set. When set, cut into 1cm sticks.
6. Heat oil for deep frying.
7. Take one lasagne sheet and thinly spread bolognese sauce on the lasagne sheet, then add grated mozzarella and a béchamel stick and roll up.
8. Place rolls on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
9. When the oil reaches 180C, dip your rolls in plain flour, beaten egg then breadcrumbs, the repeat dipping in egg and breadcrumbs for a second time.
10. Fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown then drain on kitchen paper.
11. Let cool for a few minutes before serving, sprinkled with grated parmesan.