This is French Toast on another level! Custard, chocolate and a crunchy sugar topping, delicious.
• 200 milliliters double cream
• 3 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 100 milliliters milk
• 18-20 slices thick white bread
• 100 grams caster sugar
• 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
• Maple syrup for serving
• Chocolate for melting or grating if you fancy
1. Pour the cream, milk and vanilla into a shallow dish. Add in the eggs and caster sugar then whisk.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a loaf tin with butter. Cut the bread into quarters so they are in small triangles.
3. Place the bread into the mix, making sure both sides are covered and let the excess mix drip off. Start by making two layers at the bottom of the tin so you have a cake base, then stagger the rest of the slices so it's textured and the crusts are sticking out.
4. Sprinkle over 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar and place in the oven for around 18 minutes, until crispy on top but still has a bit of a squeeze.
5. Leave to cool slightly and then grate over some of the chocolate and/or drizzle over the melted chocolate.
6. Cool completely before cutting. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.