French Onion Soup - The ultimate winter warmer
• 600g onions
• 2 garlic cloves
• Knob of butter
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• 800ml beef stock
• 200ml white wine
• Small bunch of thyme
• 1 small baguette, sliced
• 250g gruyere
1. Finely slice all the onions and finely chop the garlic.
2. In a large heavy based pan, melt the butter and add it to the onions and the garlic. This will need to cook down on a low heat for 20 minutes.
3. Add in the picked leaves of the thyme and the plain flour and stir to coat the onions. Add the wine and let this cook down on a medium heat for a couple of minutes, before adding the beef stock and bringing to the boil.
4. Meanwhile toast the giant croutons and grate all the cheese.
5. Once ready, divide the soup into bowls, add in the croutons and top with the cheese. Place under a hot grill for a few minutes until bubbling, before serving.