What do you get when you combine a Victoria Sponge Cake with pancakes... This fluffy tower of awesomeness!
• 200g plain flour
• 4 tsp baking powder
• 100g caster sugar
• 4 egg yolks
• 230ml milk
• 4 egg whites
• 300g butter, at room temperature
• 600g icing sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla paste
• 150ml double cream
• 1 jar raspberry jam
• 8 - 10 raspberries
• Icing sugar, to dust
1. Mix together the egg yolks, flour and sugar, then whisk in the milk slowly, to avoid lumps. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
2. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form when lifted.
3. Carefully fold the egg whites into the pancake batter, until just incorporated, making sure not to deflate the batter.
4. Lightly grease and a crepe pan or non-stick frying pan, and warm it to a low heat.
5. Spoon pancake batter onto the pan and use a palette knife to spread it into a 7” circle, about 1cm thick.
6. When the pancake starts to look cooked on top (put a saucepan lid over it if you think it needs it to steam and help it cook) carefully turn it over and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
7. Repeat with the remaining batter until you have 5 pancakes.
8. Once the pancakes are cool, whisk together the butter, icing sugar, double cream and vanilla paste.
9. Build the cake by layering pancake, jam and buttercream - finishing with a pancake on top.
10. Pipe 8 - 10 rosettes of buttercream on the top of the last pancake layer and top with the fresh raspberries. Finally, finish with a dusting of icing sugar.