Our five spice cauliflower is our favourite way to spice up your new fav vegetable. A great meat alternative for a quick mid-week supper.
• 1 cauliflower, broken into bite sized florets
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsps Chinese five spice
• 60ml oyster sauce
• 2 tbsps chinese black (chingkiang) vinegar
• 100g rice flour
• Veg oil, for deep frying
• 375g packet fresh thin egg noodles
• Micro greens, to garnish
• Chilli oil, to serve
1. Place the cauliflower, turmeric and salt into a pot of boiling water and cool for 3 minutes. Strain and run under cold water until cool then pat dry with kitchen roll.
2. Place the vinegar and oyster sauce in a small bowl and mix to combine.
3. Add the flour and 5 spice to the cauliflower and mix to make sure all the cauliflower is covered.
4. Half-fill a large saucepan with oil and place over medium heat until the oil reaches 180°C.
5. Cook the cauliflower, in batches, for 2–3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
6. Pour the vinegar mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside and keep warm.
7. Carefully lower the noodles into the oil and cook for 1 minute or until crisp. Serve the cauliflower with the crispy noodles, micro greens and chilli oil.