This is our kind of breakfast bowl. Next time you're in the mood for a beef bowl, try this Filipino bistek bowl! It's beef steak with swag.
• For the bistek:
• 1.5 pounds ribeye, thinly sliced
• 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/3 cup soy sauce
• Juice from one lemon
• 1/4 cup water
• Ground pepper to taste
• 3 tablespoons canola or veg oil
• For the rest:
• 1 sunny-side up egg
• 2 cups fresh spinach
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 1/2 cups steamed white rice
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 3 tablespoons oil
1. Make the rice: heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and add 3 tablespoons of garlic. Once golden brown and crispy, quickly add steamed rice and combine well. Season with salt and pepper. After about 5 minutes, turn off heat.
2. Make the spinach: heat 1 tablespoon oil in another pan. Add garlic and spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Once the spinach has wilted, turn off heat.
3. Make the bistek: to a bowl, add beef, garlic, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Thoroughly coat the beef with the marinade and let sit in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight
4. Heat canola oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add beef along with marinade and cook uncovered for about 8 minutes. Add water and onions and turn heat to high. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
5. To serve, add garlic rice to a bowl and top with bistek over 1/3, spinach in another, and sunny side up egg.