You’ll flip over this Filipino BBQ chicken. Serve it with rice and you’ve got yourself a finger-licking good meal!
• For the BBQ:
• 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced into wide strips
• 3/4 cup white vinegar
• 3/4 cup lemon lime soda
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup lime juice
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• For the pickled relish:
• 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
• 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced or minced
• 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
• 1 habanero, seeded and thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup white vinegar
• 1/3 cup sugar
• Salt to taste
• Steamed rice for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine all the BBQ ingredients. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Meanwhile, make the pickled relish: in a bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, and salt together. 3. Thoroughly mix in the rest of the relish ingredients. You can save any extras in a glass container. Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 1 hour, to prevent catching on fire on the grill later.
3. Skewer marinated chicken. Grill on medium-high heat, turning occasionally to equally char and cook all sides.
4. Serve with steamed white rice and the pickled relish.