Give chickpeas a chance with these amazing falafel
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 x 400g/14 ounces can chickpeas
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
• Salt and black pepper
• 1 egg, beaten
• 100 grams feta, cut into cubes
• 1 lemon, zest grated
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small pan. Fry the onion over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further two minutes and remove from the heat.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the sautéed onion and garlic and crush together with a potato masher until the mixture is broken down.
3. Add the cumin, mixed herbs and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the egg and mix together.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Divide the mixture into 6 golf ball-sized balls and insert a piece of feta. Place on a lined baking tray. Rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
5. Remove the falafel from the fridge, drizzle with the remaining oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
6. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and lemon zest.