Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches are super easy to make! You can use shop bought doughnuts or make your own to create these super cute desserts!
• 1x7g packet of dried yeast
• 30ml warm water
• 175ml lukewarm milk scalded, then cooled
• 55g caster sugar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 large egg
• 50g vegetable shortening
• 400g plain flour
• 150g icing sugar
• 25ml milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1L vegetable oil
1. Add water and yeast together in a your stand mixer and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Add in the milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and half of the flour.
3. Turn the stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, then add in the rest of the flour and mix until just combined. Take the bowl out of the stand mixer and cover with a clean towel to let it rise for an hour.
4. Working with half the dough at a time, roll it to around 1cm thick on a floured surface. Using two sizes of cookie cutter for the doughnut and it’s hole, cut out 6 doughnuts with each half of the dough and put onto a tray lined with baking paper. Leave to prove, covered, in a warm spot for 30-45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile make the glaze by adding the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence to a bowl and mixing until smooth.
6. In a deep saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 190C degrees. Fry the doughnuts on each side for 90 seconds. Drain on a cooling rack until you finish cooking them all then dip into the glaze. Return to the cooling rack, glaze side up, to harden for 30 minutes.
7. To serve, use a bread knife to slice each doughnut through the middle and fill with a scoop of ice cream. Eat immediately.