Why wouldn't you deep fry your mac and cheese!?
• 500 grams Macaroni pasta
• 1 teaspoon truffle oil
• 1 black truffle
• 30 grams plain flour
• 30 grams butter
• 750 milliliters semi skimmed milk
• 100 grams cheddar cheese, grated
• 100 grams parmesan cheese, grated
• 50 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
• 150 grams panko breadcrumbs
• 3 eggs
• 50 grams plain flour
• 3 liters vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions until al dente.
Begin the white sauce by melting the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add in the flour to combine and gradually whisk in the milk little by little, until you achieve a slightly thick consistency. Add in the cheeses, whisk further to melt and add truffle oil and grated truffle to taste.
2. When the pasta is cooked combine with the white sauce and pour out into a baking dish lined with greaseproof paper.
3. Sprinkle some remaining cheese on top and transfer to an oven pre-heated to 220C for 30 minutes until bubbling.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully in the fridge.
5. Once cooled, prise the mac n cheese out of the dish and place onto a chopping board - it should hold together in one piece. Cut out cubes of the cooled mac n cheese and set aside.
6. Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl and set aside, and on separate plates lay out the flour and breadcrumbs.
7. Dip the mac n cheese cubes into the flour, egg and then breadcrumbs - Deep fry until golden and serve.