A classic British biscuit gets the cupcake treatment!
• 80 grams Unsalted butter
• 230 grams Caster sugar
• 200 grams Plain flour
• 60 grams Custard powder
• 2 teaspoons Baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon Salt
• 240 milliliters Whole milk
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
• 2 Eggs
• 120 grams Unsalted butter
• 350 grams Icing sugar, sifted
• 25 grams Custard powder
• 35 milliliters Whole milk
• 12 Custard creams.
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
2. Sift over the flour, custard powder, baking powder and salt and add the caster sugar. Beat together until the mixture forms a sandy consistency.
3. In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract and slowly pour it into the dry ingredients with the mixer on low.
4. Scrape down the bowl and beat on medium/high until the mixture is smooth. Don't over beat.
5. Pour mixture into cupcake cases filling 2/3rds full and bake in a pre heated oven at 190°C for 18-25 minutes. Once baked leave on a wire rack to cool.
6. For the buttercream beat together the butter with 2/3rds of the icing sugar until sandy.
7. Pour in the milk and the remaining icing sugar and beat until it comes together.
8. Once together add the custard powder and beat until light and fluffy.
9. Step 9- Place into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe a small blob into the centre and pipe a swirl around. Continue piping another swirl on top of the first one.
10. Decorate with a custard cream.