Deep fried pillows of custard dreams
• 350 milliliters Lukewarm Water
• 110 grams Caster Sugar
• 7 grams Instant Yeast
• 2 Eggs
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 1 Cup Evaporated Milk
• 890 grams Bread Flour
• 50 grams Vegetable Shortening
• Canola Oil For Frying
• Creme Patisserie
• 100 grams Caster Sugar
• 28 grams Cornflour/Cornstarch
• Pinch Salt
• 475 milliliters Milk
• 4 Egg Yolks
• 1 Vanilla Pod
• Icing Sugar, for serving
1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast together in a bowl and let the sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs, evaporated milk and salt together and add these to the yeast mixture.
3. Add half of the flour to a stand mixer along with the shortening and pour in the liquids. Mix on a low speed and add the remaining flour until all the liquid is absorbed. Don't worry if the dough looks too wet.
4. Knead for 5 minutes on medium speed or 10 minutes by hand until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl and allow to double in size (1-2 hours).
5. Meanwhile make the pastry cream. In a pan whisk the cornflour, salt and sugar together.
6. Deseed a vanilla pod and add that into a jug with the milk and egg yolks. Whisk until everything is combined.
7. Pour the milk mixture into the pan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil whisking constantly and allow to boil for 1 minute.
8. Remove from the heat, strain through a fine sieve and chill in the fridge covered for 1 1/2 hours.
9. Pre heat the oil in a large pan to 175C/350F.
10. Knock the dough back and roll it into a rectangle on a floured surface, about 1/4 inches thick. Cut 1 1/2 inch squares.
11. Drop the squares 2 at a time into the oil and fry until golden. Drain off the excess oil on a paper towel.
12. Using a round tip piping nozzle, poke a hole in the bottom of each beignet and pipe a small amount of pastry cream. Coat with icing sugar before serving.