Delicious layers of citrus marinated pork roast, ham, cheese, and pickles, all in toasty bread, make this classic sandwich unforgettable.
• 3-4 pounds pork shoulder
• 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 6 garlic cloves
• 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
• 2 teaspoons cumin powder
• Salt & pepper
• For the sandwich: hero sandwich bread, deli sliced ham, sliced swiss cheese, sliced pickles ,yellow mustard, butter for toasting bread
1. In a food processor, blend garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper, and oil.
2. Cut several slits across the pork shoulder. Stuff the slits with the garlic mixture and rub it all over the meat.
3. Place seasoned pork and citrus juices and red wine vinegar in a gallon freezer bag. Let sit overnight in the fridge to marinate.
4. Place marinated pork in a roasting rack, with the marinade in the roasting pan. Roast at 450F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, loosely tent with foil, and roast at 375F for 2 hours.
5. Once the pork is cooked and tender, let rest for 20 minutes, and then slice.
6. Slice hero bread and butter. Toast in a pan until lightly golden. Smear mustard and layer roasted pork slices, ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and more mustard.
7. Heat in the pan with a heavy pan to gently press the sandwich. Once the bread is golden and the cheese has melted, slice and serve.