Who remembers these cream buns from their childhood? Serious throwback vibes!
• 500g plain flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 14g dried fast-action dried yeast
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 30g butter
• 300ml milk
• Oil for frying
• 200g caster sugar
• 200ml whipping cream
• 2 tbsps icing sugar
• Seedless raspberry jam
1. Mix together the flour, salt and sugar.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter then add the milk and stir until it’s lukewarm.
3. Add the yeast to the flour, then add enough milk mix to bring it to a dough.
4. Knead for 10 minutes.
5. Put the dough in a clean bowl, cover, and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
6. Knock back the dough, and divide into 12 pieces.
7. Roll each piece of dough into a ball shape.
8. Put the buns on a baking tray 5 cm apart, cover, and let rise for 15-30 minutes until almost doubled in size again.
9. Bring oil for deep-frying to 180C.
10. Cook the buns in the hot oil for 6-8 minutes, until golden brown all over. Tip straight into a bowl of caster sugar then place on a rack to cool.
11. Whip the cream with the icing sugar and put it into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle.
12. Put the jam into a piping bag.
13. Split the donut buns along the top, then fill with jam and cream.