Time for a new spin on your classic calamari recipe!
• Large piece of pork skin
• 250 grams squid
• 2 tablespoons cornflour
• 1 large egg, beaten
• Pinch sea salt
• Pinch pepper
• 1 lemon, for squeezing
• Parsley for garnish
• Mayo of your choice to serve (we used garlic mayo)
1. Layout the pork skin out and cut off any excess fat from underneath, and roll the skin out so it's completely flat. Set the oven to 200°C. Pat the skin so it's as dry as possible and when the oven is up to temperature, heavily salt the skin.
2. Place in the hot oven for about 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden and bubbly. At this point turn the oven down and flip the skin. Cook for a further 15 minutes on this side. Take out of the oven and leave to cool.
3. Cut the squid into the 1 centimeter rings and pat dry. Break the crackling up by smashing into crumbs with a rolling pin or food processor, pat dry again and crumb finer with your hands.
4. Mix the crackling with cornflour, coat the squid with beaten egg and then coat with the crackling mixture.
5. Deep fry until golden and serve with a mayo of your choice!