Why does honey butter make everything better?
• For the Honey Butter
• 250 grams salted butter
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 red chilli diced and deseeded
• For the Cornbread
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 cup oil, butter or bacon grease
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup cornmeal
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
• 1 Egg per person for frying
1. In a large bowl mix the jalapeños, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
2. Add the buttermilk, oil and eggs and whisk to combine.
3. Pour the Mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until a toothpick pushed in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
4. Cut butter into chunks and put in a bowl. Add chilli, honey cinnamon and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Roll in to a log and refrigerate, or use straight away. Slice the cornbread. Coat with honey butter and top with a fried egg.