How to make congee with trout
• 150 grams uncooked rice for approx 400 grams cooked rice
• 1.5 litres good quality or homemade chicken stock or pork/ fish stock
• 40 grams ginger, peeled, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon rock sugar (optional)
• 400 grams cabbage, sliced into 1 centimeter stripes
• Handful of frozen peas
• 1 courgette, quartered and sliced into 1 centimeter cubes
• 5 tablespoons good quality premium fish sauce
• 400 grams trout fillet
• 20 grams dill (approx 20 stems) with stalks, sliced to 0.5 centimeters
• White and black pepper to season
• Coriander to garnish (optional)
1. Add cooked rice to a pot of hot chicken stock with ginger (and rock sugar if using). Cook for 15 minutes on a medium boil with a lid on.
2. The rice grains will have soften and expand. Season with good quality premium fish sauce and a good pinch of white pepper.
3. Then mix in the strips of cabbage, peas and courgettes and the trout to the congee and cook for a further 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped dill.
4. Season with black pepper and serve warm with an extra garnishing of dill and/or coriander.