How to make awesome Chilli Paneer at home!
• 2 ltr full fat milk
• 2 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar - or 4 tbsp yoghurt
• Muslin sheet or clean thin napkin or tea towel
• 1 batch paneer (or packet of shop bought)
• Oil for frying
• 2 tbsp rice flour
• 2 tbsp corn flour
• 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic paste
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
• 3cm ginger, julienned
• 1/2 red onion, in 1.5cm dice
• 1 red pepper, in 1.5cm dice
• 2 small green chillis, slit lengthwise
• 1 tbsp Chinese chilli garlic sauce
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tsp sugar
• Spring onions
• Black and white sesame seeds
1. To make the paneer, bring the milk to the boil in a large saucepan. Once boiling, add the lemon juice, vinegar or yoghurt and stir gently until curds start to form.
2. Keep stirring until the milk has curdled completely - the whey will be yellow-ish and slightly translucent.
3. Strain the curds through your muslin or thin cotton. With the curds in the middle, twist the cotton to remove as much liquid as possible. Fold the twist underneath and make a flat patty from the ball of curds.
4. Put it in a shallow bowl, or on a plate, and weigh it down with something heavy.
5. Let it chill in the fridge for at least one hour before using.
6. Remove the paneer from the muslin and cut it into 3cm chunks.
7. Mix the batter ingredients and toss the paneer in the bowl to coat evenly.
8. Fry the paneer in hot oil until it has a crisp coating, then drain on kitchen paper.
9. Remove the oil and wipe the wok clean.
10. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil then fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds - taking care not to burn the garlic.
11. Add the chopped red onion and fry for one minute, then add the red pepper and green chilli and fry for 1 minute more.
12. Add the chilli garlic sauce, soy and sugar to the pan, mix through then add the paneer.
13. Add more water if needed so that the sauce can cover the paneer.
14. Warm through for one minute, then serve with spring onions, sesame seeds and steamed rice.