This chicken and dumpling recipe is the perfect winter warmer. A great dish to share with the whole family.
• 8 skinless chicken thighs, chopped into chunks
• 3 onions, sliced
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 1 tbsp dijon mustard
• 250ml white wine
• 400ml chicken stock
• 1 tbsp chopped thyme
• 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
• 50g crème fraîche
• 400g self raising flour
• 200g suet
• 75g grated parmesan
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 200ml water
• Maple glazed carrots
• Buttered savoy cabbage
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Add 2 tbsp oil to a large casserole and add the onion, cooking until tranlucent. Add the garlic cloves and chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the chicken is browned.
3. Sprinkle the flour over contents of the pan and stir to combine.
4. Add the mustard, wine and chicken stock to the casserole then simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the crème fraîche and chopped herbs and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. While the stew is simmering, make the dumplings by mixing the flour, suet, salt and 50g parmesan, then adding enough water to bring the dough together.
7. Shape into 12 balls and place on top of the boiling stew, sprinkle over the remaining parmesan then put the lid on the casserole and bake for 20 minutes without removing the lid.
8. Once the dumplings are cooked, remove the lid and lightly brush them with oil before browning them under the grill for 4-5 minutes.
9. Serve alongside maple roasted carrots and savoy cabbage.