Would you ever roast your chicken inside a pumpkin?!
• 1 large pumpkin
• 1 chicken, 1.2kg - 1.4kg (or as big as you can fit in your pumpkin!)
• 200ml milk
• 200ml white wine
• 1 lemon split into two halves
• 3 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
• 3 bay leaves
• 50g butter
1. Remove the top from the pumpkin, around the lid, and hollow it out - removing all the seeds and stringy bits. Make sure it’s big enough to fit your chicken through!
2. In a large pan, heat some oil and brown the chicken all over.
3. Put your pumpkin on a baking tray, and your chicken into the pumpkin (if possible, bake your chicken in a pumpkin in a dish you want to serve it in, as it can be hard to move it once it’s cooked)
4. Add the milk, white wine, lemon, garlic, bay leaves and butter.
5. Put the lid on the pumpkin and bake at 190C for 60 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and bake for another 60 minutes - or until a digital probe reads 80C when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken - and the chicken is nicely browned.
7. Ladle some of the juices into a saucepan and reduce to make a delicious sauce.
8. Serve the chicken in the pumpkin, and scoop bits of pumpkin out to serve too.