Kate's fondue meets cheesy bread is taking this food trend to the extreme!
• 210g plain flour
• 150g cornmeal
• 50g caster sugar
• 1½ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• ½ tsp salt
• 270ml whole milk
• 120g butter, melted and cooled
• 1 large egg
• 2 spring onions, chopped
• Cheese sauce:
• 50g unsalted butter
• 50g plain flour
• 800-900ml whole milk
• Salt & pepper
• 160g red cheddar, grated
1. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, caster sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt before stirring in the chopped spring onions.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the milk, butter and eggs.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Don’t over mix. Pour into a bundt tin that has been greased with butter and lined with extra flour.
4. Place into a preheated oven at 190ºC for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
5. For the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat before stirring in the flour. Cook the flour mix for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously.
6. Gradually whisk in the milk making sure to whisk constantly to get rid of any lumps and to stop the milk from catching on the bottom of the pan.
7. Raise the heat and continue whisking/stirring until the mixture has thickened. Season with salt & pepper. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
8. Place the cornbread onto a serving dish then pour the cheese sauce into the centre and over the edges. Slice and enjoy :D