You are not ready for the amount of cheese in these enchiladas!
• 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed
• 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 centimeters cubes
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 large red onion, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs
• 400 grams can chopped tomatoes
• 400 grams can black beans, drained and rinsed
• Cheese sauce:
• 25 grams unsalted butter
• 25 grams plain flour
• 350 milliliters milk
• 175 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated
• 200 grams cooked rice
• 6 tortillas
• Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
• 2 radishes, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Cut the bell peppers into
2. Strips about 1 centimetre wide. Toss the sweet potato cubes and bell pepper strips with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking tray.
3. Roast for 30-40 minutes until soft and slightly golden leave the oven on.
4. In a medium pot, heat the remaining oil and add the red onion. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onion is starting to soften. Add the paprika, cumin, cinnamon and dried herbs and stir in. Add the chopped
5. Tomatoes and turn the heat down to medium low to simmer. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it burning.
6. Meanwhile make the cheese sauce: in another medium pot, heat the butter over a medium heat until melted.
7. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in
8. the milk, stirring well between additions. Cook, stirring
9. constantly until thickened then stir in 125 grams of the grated cheese.
10. In each tortilla layer some rice, black beans, sweet potato and bell pepper. Tuck the ends in and roll up like a burrito. Lay into a baking dish, seam side down. Cover
11. with the tomato sauce followed by the cheese sauce
12. and then sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
13. bake for 30-40 minutes until the cheese has melted.
14. sprinkle with the coriander and sliced radishes and