Regular tater tots are fine but cheesy middle tater tots are better!
• 400g rooster potatoes, peeled & halved
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 50g mozzarella, cubed
• Sea salt & ground black pepper
• Vegetable oil, for frying
• Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
1. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and fill with cold water. Place a lid on and bring to a steady boil over a high heat. Par boil for about 6 minutes before draining and allowing to cool completely. When cool, grate coarsely on a box grater.
2. Transfer the potato to a mixing bowl and mix through the flour and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Shape small amounts of the potato into squares and place a cube of mozzarella in the middle. Fold up the sides to form giant tater tot shapes, then set aside on a plate.
3. Add the sunflower oil approximately half way up a large high sided wide casserole and bring to 180 C.
4. Add the tots to the hot oil using a slotted spoon. Fry for 5-6 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
5. Place the tots in a bowl and cover with a generous grating of Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat completely. Serve warm.