A twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich from Nebraska
• Tomato dip:
• Splash of oil
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1/2 red onion, diced
• 500 grams passata
• 1/4 teaspoon oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon thyme
• Pinch salt
• Pinch sugar
• 80 grams plain flour, sifted
• 1 large egg
• 125 milliliters whole milk
• Crushed Corn Flakes
• White bread
• Burger cheese squares
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add crushed garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
2. Pour in passata, herbs, salt and sugar and stir until combined. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl whisk the flour, egg and milk together until it forms a smooth batter. Leave to rest until needed.
4. Cut crusts off two slices of bread and spread mayonnaise on top of each slice. Cover one piece of bread with 2-3 cheese squares and place the second slice of bread on top, mayonnaise side down. Cut sandwich shortways into 3 strips. Repeat for quantity needed.
5. Coat each sandwich strip in the batter and roll it into the crushed Corn Flakes until all sides are covered. Repeat with remaining sandwich strips.
6. Deep fry at 190C for 11/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
7. Once fried place the Cheese Frenchees on kitchen roll placed over a cooling rack to remove any excess oil and to cool slightly.
8. Serve with the tomato dip and enjoy :D