Is this the biggest steak you've ever seen?!
• 1 tomahawk steak (cote de beouf) around 900g-1 kilogram
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 sprig thyme
• 50 grams butter
• 2 chillies
• 3 cloves garlic
• Sprig rosemary
• 200 grams butter (softened)
• 2 onions
• 4 echalion or banana shallots
• 2 sweet potatoes
• 1 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• Pack of tenderstem broccoli
1. Chop the sweet potato in wedges, coat in chilli flakes and paprika, a drizzle of oil and seasoning and transfer to an oven preheated to 190C for 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
2. Meanwhile, make the flavoured butter by blitzing the chillies, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and rosemary leaves with the softened butter to a paste. This will be used to flavour everything else. Feel free to make the double the amount and save some for another day.
3. Next, address the steak. Season really heavily with salt and pepper and heat up a cast iron pan until it starts to smoke. Open the windows, open the doors… this should take around 5-10 minutes but it is so important that it's hot! Sear the meat for 2 minutes on each side, without turning it and transfer to the oven with the sweet potato. The cooking time will depend entirely on
4. The thickness of your meat (some may not required oven cooking at all), but should take between 10 and 12 minutes. The easiest way to check is with a meat probe and medium rare would have an internal temp of around 56°C.Meanwhile, slice the onions and sweat down in some butter and oil until caramelised and tender, about 15 minutes or so.
5. Finally, griddle the broccoli in a cast iron skillet for 2-3 minutes and dress everything with the chilli and garlic butter. Slice the beef against the grain of the meat and serve with all the accompaniments.