Three Awesome ways to pimp your pineapple!
• Pineapple pancakes:
• 3 pineapple rings
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 60ml pineapple juice
• 90g ricotta
• 150g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 60g caster sugar
• 3 eggs, separated
• Creme fraiche to serve
• Pineapple salad:
• 50g rocket
• 50g watercress
• 1 small red onion
• 1 avocado
• Small bunch coriander
• Small bunch mint
• 1 green chilli
• Handful pumpkin seeds, toasted
• Feta for sprinkling
• Olive oil
• Sweet and sour pineapple:
• 75g cornflour
• 100g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Ice cold soda water
• 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
• 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
• 1 white onion, chopped into chunks
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Juice from the tin of pineapple (around 200ml)
• 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
• 1 tbsp white vinegar
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• Hot oil for frying
• Rice to serve
1. Pineapple Pancakes: remove 1/2 a pineapple ring and save for later, blitz the rest until it still has texture before adding in the egg yolks, sugar and ricotta. Blitz to a smooth batter.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk the blended mix into it. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks then fold through the rest of the mix.
3. Heat a knob of butter or a little coconut oil in a non stick pan and fry off your pancakes on a medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, until light and fluffy. Serve with the reserved pineapple and creme fraiche and a little syrup if you fancy.
4. Pineapple Salad: slice the avocado and onion, pick the leaves of the herbs and finely chop the chilli.
5. Get a griddle pan really hot and place in the pineapple slices. Let them cook for about 4 minutes on each side until caramelised and golden.
6. Mix 2 tbsp of olive oil with the remaining pineapple juice in the tin, season with salt and pepper. Add a little mustard if you fancy.
7. Toss together all the salad ingredients and dress and sprinkle over the feta.
8. Sweet and Sour Pineapple: beat together the batter ingredients and add enough of the soda water to create a thick batter. Coat the pineapple and fry in the hot oil until crisp.
9. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen roll.
10. Heat a medium pan and add to this a drizzle of oil. Add in the peppers and onion and cook for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. Coat in the sugar and once starting to dissolve, add in the remaining ingredients, loosening with a bit of water, once bubbling add in the battered pineapple to coat and serve with rice.