Make your own dream chocolate bar in a few easy steps...
• 100 grams butter
• 275 grams caster sugar
• 50 grams golden syrup
• 75 grams flaked almonds, finely chopped
• Pinch of sea salt
• 200 grams dark chocolate
• You will also need a 20 x 35 centimeters tin.
1. STEP 1
2. Line a 20 x 35 centimeters tin with baking parchment.
3. STEP 2
4. Mix the butter, sugar, and golden syrup in a large heavy-based saucepan and
5. Stir in 50 milliliters of water. Bring to the boil and allow the mixture to bubble until it
6. Turns dark golden brown (150°C on a sugar thermometer if you have one). It
7. Takes about 10 minutes to reach this point on a fairly high heat.
8. STEP 3
9. Take the saucepan off the heat and add the almonds and sea salt. Stir well, then
10. Pour the hot mixture into the prepared tin. When the mixture has been cooling
11. For around 5 minutes it will begin to harden. At this point, use a sharp knife to
12. Divide the mixture into 24 squares. You don't need to cut all the way through -
13. Just marking it will make it easier to break into neat pieces when it is completely
15. STEP 4
16. Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl, and dip each square into the chocolate and if
17. You like you can make a pattern by dragging a fork across the top of the
18. Chocolate, then leave to harden completely on a piece of baking parchment.
19. These will keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.