This crisp, deep-fried pastry stuffed with savoury beef is a favourite at Brazilian street fairs.
• Olive oil for sautéing
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 pound ground beef
• Salt to taste
• Black pepper to taste
• 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
• 7 cups white flour, divided
• A pinch of salt
• 1 3/4 cups water
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 shot cachaça (Brazilian rum)
• 3 medium-boiled eggs
• Frying oil
1. In a hot frying pan, sauté the onion, garlic and meat in olive oil until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add chopped parsley. Set aside.
2. Place 3 cups of flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix well. Make a hole in the middle and add water. Mix using hands and add the oil.
3. Add the cachaça and mix again.
4. Slowly add the remaining flour and continue mixing with a wooden spoon.
5. On a surface sprinkled with flour, knead until the dough is elastic and homogeneous, and no longer sticks to the hands.
6. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until very thin. Cut into 12x4-inch squares. Arrange the filling in the centre. Place 1/2 egg in each.
7. Close the dough by brushing the edges with water and pressing with a fork. Deep-fry the pastels in hot oil.