How to make these Black Bean bites, vegan and gluten free!
• 1 aubergine
• 75 grams sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
• Salt, to taste
• For the bites:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 1 (400 grams can/carton black beans, drained and rinsed
• 180 grams cooked brown basmati rice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
• Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 30 grams walnuts
1. Roast the aubergine:
2. Preheat the oven to 200 C. Cut the aubergine in half and and place onto a baking tray in the oven. Roast for 30-40 minutes until completely soft.
3. Make the bites:
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the cumin and paprika and cook for a minute more. Place the walnuts into a food processor and blend until chopped. Add all the onions, half the beans and half the rice to the blender and blend until you get a chunky paste. Add the salt and the rest of the black beans and rice - pulse until combined. Scoop heaped tablespoons of mixture and roll into balls then place onto a lined baking tray. Brush with a bit of olive oil and place into the oven (along with the aubergine) and bake for 20-25 minutes until they look dry.
5. Finish the dip:
6. Blend the sun dried tomatoes with the olive oil briefly to break them down into a rough paste. Once the aubergine is cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a food processor with the lemon juice and some salt then blend until smooth.
7. Serve the bites with the dip.