Your favourite Baklava dessert just got an upgrade!
• 400g pistachio ice cream
• 150g pistachios
• 50g hazelnuts
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 150g melted butter
• 7 sheets filo pastry
• 1 tbsp rose water
• 1 orange, zested
• 1 heaped tbsp honey
1. Part melt the pistachio ice cream (if you need to place in to a food processor and blitz until it’s malleable). Place into a 20cm x 20cm square tin, spreading out to the sides and place back into the freezer for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
2. When ready to make the baklava, place the nuts, cinnamon and sugar into a food processor and blitz until fine.
3. Unroll your filo sheets, keeping a damp cloth handy to place over filo sheets while making the baklava to prevent the filo drying out. Cut the filo into 10cm x 10cm squares.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a flat baking tray with some of the melted butter. Place a filo sheet on a clean work surface. Brush with butter, top with another filo sheet, then brush with the butter.
5. Repeat the process until 4 layers are formed. Sprinkle the top with the chopped nuts and spread with your fingers.
6. Top with a further 3 sheets of buttered filo and finally top with a final sprinkling of the chopped nuts.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
8. Mix the honey with the water and orange blossom water.
9. To assemble, remove the ice-cream from the freezer and cut into 10cm x 10cm squares. Remove the baklava squares from the pan. Place each ice cream square on top of one baklava, then top, nut-side up, with another baklava. Finally, pour the syrup over the baklava.
10. Garnish with extra nibbed pistachios and serve immediately.