Sweet yet crisp, this classic Middle-Eastern dessert is a party pleaser
• 100 grams pistachios
• 50 grams hazelnuts
• 50 grams flaked almonds
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 150 grams melted butter
• 250 grams filo pastry, around 12 sheets
• 200 grams caster sugar
• 200 water
• 1 tablespoon rose water
• 1 orange, zested
• 1 heaped tablespoon honey
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Start by blitzing the nuts and cinnamon in a food processor until fine but still with texture.
3. Get a suitable sized oven tray and grease using the melted butter. Start by layering up the pastry. Layer each sheet individually, using a good layer of butter in between, you will need to use all the butter that's melted. After three sheets do an even layer of the ground nuts. Repeat with the rest of the pastry but reverse some a couple of handfuls of the nuts to top the baklava later. Cut the baklava into the size and shape you desire. Bake in the hot oven for about 30 minutes, until golden and crisp. Meanwhile make the syrup. Place the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and let it cook until it's halved in volume, about 12 minutes. When cooked, let the baklava cool slightly and then pour over the syrup followed by the remaining nuts.