With this awesome recipe, we've combined the fun of freshly baked bread with your classic sandwich fillings!
• 500g strong white bread flour
• 10g salt
• 10g instant yeast
• 370ml tepid water
• Olive oil for kneading
• Cheddar & ham
• Mozzarella, pesto & sun dried tomatoes
• Parma ham & goats cheese
• Salami & gruyere
1. Make the dough: put the flour, salt and yeast into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook (don’t put the salt directly on top of the yeast) and add three-quarters of the water and begin mixing on a slow speed. As the dough starts to come together, slowly add the remaining water, then continue to mix on a medium speed for 5-7 minutes, until you have a glossy, elastic dough.
2. Tip the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel and leave until at least doubled in size – about 1 hour.
3. Make the stuffed baguettes: coat the work surface with flour, then tip the dough onto it. If the dough is too wet to shape, add more flour to the work surface.
4. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and shape each piece into an oblong. Add your filling to the centre then tuck the ends inside, then fold the sides of the dough into the middle. Then roll each up into a sausage – the top should be smooth with the join running along the length of the base. Ensure your fillings are as dry as possible as you don’t want any excess water or oil seeping out.
5. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and place 2 baguettes on each baking tray. Leave to prove for about 1 hour, until the dough is at least doubled in size and springs back quickly if you prod it lightly with your finger. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 220°C and put a roasting tray in the bottom to heat up.
6. When your baguettes are risen and light slash each one 3 times along its length on the diagonal, using a very sharp knife. Fill the roasting tray with hot water to create steam and put the bread into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the baguettes are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.