These baked beans just got a serious upgrade!
• Sausage and bean casserole:
• 1 tin of baked beans
• 4 sausages
• Small bunch of thyme
• 1 large white onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves
• 300g plum tomatoes
• 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
• 1 large carrot, finely chopped
• 200ml fresh stock, veg or chicken
• Veggie burgers:
• 2 tins of baked beans, one
• drained and rinsed
• Small bunch of parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
• 100g breadcrumbs
• 1 mozzarella ball
• 200g cheddar cheese, grated
• 4 tbsp plain flour
• Baked bean shakshuka:
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tin baked beans
• 2 small red peppers, finely sliced
• 1 red onion, finely sliced
• 1 large garlic clove, finely sliced
• 1 red chilli, finely sliced
• 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 3 medium eggs
1. Sausage and bean casserole: In a casserole dish, heat a glug of olive oil and add to this the celery, carrots and onion. Sweat this for about 5 minutes then add the garlic.
2. Slice the sausages evenly and add to the veg with the thyme. Cook this down further for 5 minutes, or until the sausages begin to brown. Add in the plum tomatoes, the beans and the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes until thick and sticky. Season and serve with crusty bread.
3. For the veggie burgers: Blitz the beans together in a food processor with the herbs and then add in the breadcrumbs and mix together again until combined.
4. Mix in the egg and flour and divide into 4 balls. Divide the mozzarella into 4 too and put in the middle of the balls with the grated cheese.
5. Place in the fridge to firm up and then when ready, heat 2 tbsp olive oil, round the burgers in the flour to coat and fry the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side. They should be golden and the cheese oozy.
6. For the baked bean shakshuka: Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and add in the cumin seeds. Fry them for a minute before adding the onions, chilli and garlic. Sautee for 5 minutes or so and then add in the tomato and the peppers. Cook for a few more minutes so they soften slightly, add finally add in the beans. Let this cook for about 10-12 minutes.
7. Make 3 nests in the mixture and add in the eggs. Cook for several minutes and then place onto the grill to finish. Garnish with coriander and a pinch of smoked paprika.