Bite-sized apple pie?! Don't mind if I do!
• 4 Granny Smith apples
• Water & lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 25 grams unsalted butter
• 35 grams soft light brown sugar
• 30 grams caster sugar
• 1 tablespoon cornflour
• 2 tablespoons water
• Cinnamon sugar:
• 100 grams caster sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 10+ slices of white medium sliced bread
• 80 grams unsalted butter, melted
1. Peel apples and cut into quarters. Remove the core and cut the remainder into small chunks. Once cut place in a large bowl of water with fresh lemon juice to stop the apples from browning.
2. In a saucepan melt together the butter and cinnamon. Add the apple chunks draining off most of the water, pour over the two sugars and stir until dissolved.
3. Cover with lid and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until softened. Make sure to stir occasionally.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together cornflour and water to form a smooth liquid/paste.
5. Add to the softened apples and simmer for 2 minutes until sauce has thickened. Leave to cool slightly.
6. Cut crusts off each slice of bread and use a rolling pin to flatten the bread. Spoon a small amount of the apple filling onto one end of the bread and roll it up short ways.
7. Dip each roll up into the melted butter followed by the cinnamon sugar and place seam down onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
8. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before eating.