The Topless Baker shows you how to up your mince pie game this festive season!
• 255 grams unsalted butter
• 545 grams plain flour
• 50 grams caster sugar
• 50 grams vegetable shortening
• Pinch salt
• 100 milliliters ice water
• 2 (410 grams jars of mincemeat
• Egg wash
1. In a stand mixer, add the butter, flour, sugar, salt and shortening, and mix on low until it reaches a breadcrumb-like consistency.
2. Slowly pour in the ice water until the mixture just starts to clump together. Split the dough in 2, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
3. Once chilled, roll out one of the pastry doughs to the thickness of a pound coin and roll this over your tray, leaving 1/2 inch hanging over the edge.
4. Fill the middle with the mincemeat and set in the fridge.
5. Roll out the second dough into a rectangle the size of the pie dish, and cut out star shapes with a cookie cutter, keeping the cut-outs to one side.
6. Lay this piece of dough over top of the tray and crimp the excess from the bottom layer over the top to seal everything together. Add on the star cuts-outs from earlier.
7. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
8. Cover the pie with egg wash and sprinkle caster sugar on top. Bake at 180°F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
9. Let cool before serving.