Turning a classic savoury recipe into a sweet dessert
• 480g chocolate, chopped (I use a mix of milk and dark chocolate)
• 195g unsalted butter
• 4 tbsp golden syrup
• 110g chocolate puffed rice cereal
• 90g chocolate chip cookies, crushed
• chewy white sweets, to look like onions
• chewy orange sweets, to look like carrots
• green & orange candy coated chocolate, to look like peas and carrots.
• Swiss meringue topping:
• 200g egg whites
• 300g caster sugar
• yellow gel food colouring
1. Add the chocolate, butter and golden syrup into a large heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water, stir until melted.
2. Once melted, take off the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes before mixing in the chocolate puffed rice cereal and the crushed cookies.
3. Chop the white chewy sweets into small cubes to resemble onions and cut the orange chewy sweets into thin strips to resemble carrots. Fold these into the mixture along with the green and orange candy coated chocolate.
4. Divide the mixture and spread it evenly into 2 pie dishes or on a baking tray. Place in the fridge to set.
5. For the Swiss meringue topping pour the egg whites and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and place over a pan of simmering water.
6. Keep the mixture moving with a spatula and gently heat until it reaches 160ºF on a sugar thermometer, this will stabilize the egg whites.
7. Take the bowl off the heat and beat with a mixer on high speed until glossy stiff peaks form. Spoon the Swiss meringue into a piping bag and pipe it on top of the set chocolate base. Use a blowtorch to colour the meringue.
8. Garnish with grated white chocolate, to look like cheese. Enjoy :D