Recreate these awesome treats from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
• 2 egg whites
• pinch of salt
• 100g caster sugar
• 1 pack of toffee or caramels
• gel food colour
• piping bag
1. In a clean bowl, beat together the egg whites and salt until the mixture is stiff.
2. Continue to beat while adding the caster sugar a tablespoon at a time until the meringue turns glossy, shiny and stiff. If using food colouring, beat in the gel food colour until evenly combined.
3. Trim off the end of the piping bag and add your chosen piping tip. Turn the bag inside out and paint strips of gel food colour using a clean paint brush, this will create a pretty effect when piped (optional). Turn the piping bag back the right way and spoon in the meringue mixture.
4. Pipe a small drop of meringue onto a baking tray lined with baking paper before placing a toffee/caramel on top. Pipe some more meringue around the toffee/caramel and swirl it up until it is covered. Repeat with the rest of the meringue mixture.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 120ºC for 1 hour until dry and crisp. You should be able to pick them off the baking paper without them sticking. Leave to cool on a wire rack, enjoy :D